Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #22: Identify Values to Aggregate

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link to last week’s challenge (challenge #21) is HERE.  

This week’s challenge is a little special.  I have mentioned before that as internal users or Alteryx we all do these exercises every week and we started doing this at the beginning of 2014.  There have been a lot of exercises since then and the product has changed a lot of the past few years.   The exercise posted here is exercise #1, the inaugural exercise that we completed internally.

In the spirit of that, you will find the workflow will build from top down instead of from left to right, that is the way Alteryx used to work.  For some more fun I would ask that before building the workflow, go to the “About” box from the HELP menu and double click the Colorado flag next to the text “Created in Boulder, Colorado”  after that, the tool icons will change to the original Alteryx tool icons that used to be in the product.  Don’t worry, once you close Alteryx and re-open it the icons will return to normal.

about.png

Now for the challenge , this week’s challenge is an intermediate difficulty one that requires parsing a text field to get at values to summarize. 

Use case:  The log files from an ATM machine have the transaction amounts embedded in text strings.  The user needs to have these text amounts summarized by row (transaction).

Objective: For this assignment the numbers directly following the text ‘ATM2.’ are dollar amounts for transactions. Summarize the values on a row by row basis.

Have fun!

alexey_nikityuk
8 - Asteroid

Hi Tara! First time here, was interested if those exercises are aimed at personal training use or people usually submit their solutions here?

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @alexey_nikityuk and welcome to our community!  

These exercises are for users of all abilities to sharpen their skills and develop new ones. We love feedback and we want to know your experience with the exercise. Every Monday, @GeneR posts a new exercise and a solution for the previous week.  I will comment with a screenshot of Gene's solution in the Spoiler text like this

Spoiler
This is where your screenshot goes!
If you are looking for a forum where the exercises and solutions are posted in a discussion-like thread, vote on the idea submitted here.

Feel free to play along! There are so many ways to solve a problem in Alteryx. We'd love to see how you arrive at the answer!

Tara McCoy
alexey_nikityuk
8 - Asteroid

Hi @TaraM! Yeah, I really liked those exercises and did this one. Was interested if the idea is then to check users' solutions to what you will post next week.  Got it now! Thanks a lot!

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution is now attached...old school style ;)

Spoiler
2016-04-25 09_51_50-Alteryx Designer x64 - Identifying_Values_To_Aggregate_Intermediate_Solution (00.png
Tara McCoy
alex
11 - Bolide

Slightly different approach - same number of steps - same result!

Spoiler
Week22.PNG
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JoeM,

how many more challenges for today?  none.  I've got a scavenger hunt to perform... @TaraM

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew - Impressive run of challenges completed today!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Love that easter egg to move this into the old icon format @GeneR

took a similar but slightly different approach than @MarqueeCrew 

Spoiler
- Used RegEx to tokenise the ATM2 delimited text into rows - very similar to what @TaraM did using the replace and then text to columns but more direct
... however, had a problem that on row 143 there was no closing ] so had to add this and extend the string length to prevent truncation
From there - just a simple summarise and cleanup

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

So retro!! :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge22.JPG