Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #215: Gotta Catch 'em All!

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

What great practice with checkboxes!

Workflow

Spoiler
kayers_0-1590549422133.png

Interface

Spoiler
kayers_1-1590549453995.png

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Used chained apps to make the Interface tools dynamic with changes in the data.  Can't catch 'em all unless you have the entire list - which if you want there are several accessible databases out there!

Spoiler
215 Result.png

Workflow 215 Part 1.png

Workflow 215 Part 2.png

jonathangonzales
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
jonathangonzales_0-1590598546071.png

Spoiler

NapasornCh
7 - Meteor

Completed

Spoiler

NapasornCh_2-1590955005480.png

NapasornCh_0-1590954992334.png

Verakso
11 - Bolide

Kind of rusty in the app making, but it is a good thing you can debug those things

Spoiler
Here is what my Workflow ended up looking like
The WorkflowThe Workflow

This results in an app looking like this: 

The AppThe App

And with the settings above, the result looks like this:

The ResultThe Result

Still Climbing
/Verakso

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

There are a couple of interesting things at play here when building this solution.

• Firstly, configuring the List Box tool to generate a list, rather then the Select Tool mode. The List Box tool has 2 distinct functions it can be used for depending on the Use case.
  • Secondly, connecting "standard" tools to interface tools will not dynamically change the interface tool when the data changes. When you run the workflow in Designer, the Alteryx workflow stores the Metadata after the Crosstab and so that can then be used to configure the interface tool, however if that incoming data changes, the interface tool will not be updated unless you run the app as a workflow before loading the interface.
    • In short, the interface tools are configured by the GUI, the "standard" Tools will not execute until the AlteryxEngine runs, so the interface tools won't know the output of those until we hit run, and hence can only go off the stored metadata.

Spoiler
I chose to lay out the solution rather than combining Filters etc. I'm also a big fan of the Detour and I think it makes the solution a lot easier to debug/understand later.

Challenge215.png

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

I love programming apps!

Spoiler
JustinBabbitt_0-1591212121486.png

Justin Babbitt
Mengdee
8 - Asteroid

never tried the interface before that was nice..

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution

Spoiler
challenge_215.PNG
Spoiler
challenge_215_1.PNG
Spoiler
challenge_215_2.PNG