Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #213: Optimized Flower Arrangements

freewind
7 - Meteor

out of curiosity, will it be simpler to combine O and A anchors? variables can be combined into O anchor since order matters anyway, and constraints to be merged to B anchor?

TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I created a non Optimization Tool solution to give some logical reasoning behind the Optimization Tool output!

Spoiler
TerryT_1-1588280332643.png

bsanders2009
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
bsanders2009_0-1588285732451.png

This one was really hard for me!  I also have an observation and a question:

• Observation: It's interesting to note that using Symphony to solve will swap "Red Rose" and "White Daisy", resulting in the same flower count but cheaper (is Symphony the "cheapskate" solver?!) by enough to buy an additional flower but it doesn't do it--strange!
  • Question: It looks like my solution is similar to others but I'm questioning the approach now.  If we need between 3-4 Filler Greens per arrangement and we're trying to maximize flowers, wouldn't the optimal solution take this into account and treat Flower Greens differently from flowers and ensure that you order 30 (the minimum) of them to free up money to buy additional flowers?
Himanshu_1984
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I used the same solution which is done by other most of them. It is interesting.

Regards,

Himanshu Goyal

jmt214
8 - Asteroid

The optimizer tool is kind of like trivia. If you know it, it's easy. If you don't, it's hard. 

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
AntonioNeri
6 - Meteoroid

I include two alternatives, one specifying the model as a matrix with constrains in rows and the other option introducing the model manually.

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Nice challenge!

etzele
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler

etzele_0-1588517496006.png

Nice challenge, finally used the Optimization Tool!

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached. Never used this tool before. I followed @johnemery's helpful video.

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

This is surprisingly easy once you know how to set everything up.

Spoiler
paul_houghton_0-1588698537334.png