Weekly Challenge

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!
IDEAS WANTED

We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!

Submit Feedback
We've recently made an accessibility improvement to the community and therefore posts without any content are no longer allowed. Please use the spoiler feature or add a short message in the message body in order to submit your weekly challenge.

Challenge #213: Optimized Flower Arrangements

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

my solution

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Struggled with this one (more info in Spoiler).

Spoiler
I spent a while trying to get 'Constraints in Rows' to work, but it kept on totalling to more than 950. 

*I did try sorting the data by price ascending, which got the answer closer to 950, but was still over 

Challenge 213.PNG 

I asked my go to optimisation guy @PhilipMannering to help, but he couldn't solve my issue. I've kept the original way I had the tool set up so if anyone with more nous than I can have a look and tell me what I was doing wrong I'd be a very happy Ollie

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Input some objective to maximise; input some cost matrix; input some constraints; receive an error; debug using sample workflows; ...; success!

 

Spoiler
213 optimisation.jpg
Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

This was fun - dredging up knowledge on a tool I have not used in a while!

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

I have compute 2 set of results.

1st consider the green filler is one kind of flowers

2nd the green filler is not classified as flowers, so I simply minimise the number of the and apply the budget to max the number of flowers.  

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Interesting challenge! Thanks

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Highlighted
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Challenge_213.JPG
Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I think I've worked out the issue I was having. The cross-tab puts the headers in alphabetical order, which the flowers aren't, so they didn't line up properly in the Optimisation tool. Sorting alphabetically by flower name fixed my issue (cc: @PhilipMannering)

Spoiler
OllieClarke_0-1588179682778.png

 

Alteryx Partner

Seems to be impossible for me to remember how to use optimization tool since it always feels like I have never seen it before when I need it.. Maybe the next time will be easier (most likely not)

 

Spoiler
jv1_1-1588241147668.png

 

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Hello

 

Here's my solution

 

Spoiler
Capture d’écran 2020-04-30 à 13.54.26.png

@johnemery thank you for the video that helped me a lot to understand these tool beside the tool mastery.