Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #213: Optimized Flower Arrangements

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

my solution

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Struggled with this one (more info in Spoiler).

Spoiler
I spent a while trying to get 'Constraints in Rows' to work, but it kept on totalling to more than 950. 

*I did try sorting the data by price ascending, which got the answer closer to 950, but was still over  🤔

Challenge 213.PNG 

I asked my go to optimisation guy @PhilipMannering to help, but he couldn't solve my issue. I've kept the original way I had the tool set up so if anyone with more nous than I can have a look and tell me what I was doing wrong I'd be a very happy Ollie 🙂

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Input some objective to maximise; input some cost matrix; input some constraints; receive an error; debug using sample workflows; ...; success!

Spoiler
213 optimisation.jpg
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

This was fun - dredging up knowledge on a tool I have not used in a while!

ScottyLeung
5 - Atom

I have compute 2 set of results.

1st consider the green filler is one kind of flowers

2nd the green filler is not classified as flowers, so I simply minimise the number of the and apply the budget to max the number of flowers.  

huynv96
9 - Comet

Interesting challenge! Thanks

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
bmarx112
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Challenge_213.JPG
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I think I've worked out the issue I was having. The cross-tab puts the headers in alphabetical order, which the flowers aren't, so they didn't line up properly in the Optimisation tool. Sorting alphabetically by flower name fixed my issue 🙂 (cc: @PhilipMannering)

Spoiler
OllieClarke_0-1588179682778.png

jv1
8 - Asteroid

Seems to be impossible for me to remember how to use optimization tool since it always feels like I have never seen it before when I need it.. Maybe the next time will be easier (most likely not)

Spoiler
jv1_1-1588241147668.png

AMansour
11 - Bolide

Hello

Here's my solution

Spoiler
Capture d’écran 2020-04-30 à 13.54.26.png

@johnemery thank you for the video that helped me a lot to understand these tool beside the tool mastery.