Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #213: Optimized Flower Arrangements

balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Spoiler Solution

balajilolla_0-1588018367344.png

Very Interesting Challenge! Learnt a new tool

dkoenawan004
7 - Meteor

Now this is a challenge. Had to pull my notes from Inspire APAC and finally figure it out!

Spoiler
dkoenawan004_1-1588039989389.png

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Really simple once I remembered how to use the optimization tool. It seems that every time I run into it I have to learn how to use it all over again.

Spoiler
2020-04-27_19-43-48.png
I played with this a bit, trying different linear programming models. The given solution used GLPK. I also tried Symphony and got a different result with 57 White Daisies and 40 Red Roses and all other values the same. This is arguably slightly better since it gives the same number of flowers at a slightly lower cost (949.05 vs 949.90).

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
The last time I used this tool was for the previous Weekly Challenge that required it
Capture.PNG

JohanRanschaert
8 - Asteroid

Solution in attach

JennyMartin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
AWC213.PNGAWC213.2.PNG

AWC213.3.png

I forgot you could have lower and upper bounds in the objective function input! I also got slightly different values, as I solved for each arrangement. I ❤️ the optimization tool!

For the video solution I've removed a bit of the complexity by using the lower and upper bounds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-ZS_NdQ2k&list=PL18SpOXDj-KMUD4YwWC5vZaUsIa7drxNZ&index=18&t=0s

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Sweet Success!!!

Spoiler
I had to step away - mow the lawn - sleep on it:

Had the right idea, but so important to make sure data stays in the correct relative order...which the transpose was not doing for me initially.  Fixed that and realized I had spelled "coefficient" incorrectly as well in the O input. 

Not the easiest tool to master, but kept re-reading the Tool mastery page until something clicked.

ggruccio_0-1588109494313.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Solution.

Spoiler
213.png

kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
kelvinlaw_0-1588125857939.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I would love to see the solution with constraints in rows@Ollie and I couldn't get it to work that way for neither love nor money.

Here's the solution with variables in rows at any rate,

Spoiler
woofwoof