Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #213: Optimized Flower Arrangements

balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Spoiler Solution

balajilolla_0-1588018367344.png

Very Interesting Challenge! Learnt a new tool

dkoenawan004
7 - Meteor

Now this is a challenge. Had to pull my notes from Inspire APAC and finally figure it out!

Spoiler
dkoenawan004_1-1588039989389.png

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Really simple once I remembered how to use the optimization tool. It seems that every time I run into it I have to learn how to use it all over again.

Spoiler
2020-04-27_19-43-48.png
I played with this a bit, trying different linear programming models. The given solution used GLPK. I also tried Symphony and got a different result with 57 White Daisies and 40 Red Roses and all other values the same. This is arguably slightly better since it gives the same number of flowers at a slightly lower cost (949.05 vs 949.90).

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
The last time I used this tool was for the previous Weekly Challenge that required it
Capture.PNG

JohanRanschaert
8 - Asteroid

Solution in attach

JennyMartin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
AWC213.PNGAWC213.2.PNG

AWC213.3.png

I forgot you could have lower and upper bounds in the objective function input! I also got slightly different values, as I solved for each arrangement. I ❤️ the optimization tool!

For the video solution I've removed a bit of the complexity by using the lower and upper bounds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-ZS_NdQ2k&list=PL18SpOXDj-KMUD4YwWC5vZaUsIa7drxNZ&index=18&t=0s

This week's challenge is all about the Optimization Tool and is a great chance to check it out if you haven't done so before! It takes a bit of getting used to to set it up, but I promise it's worth the investment! Find the challenge here: ...
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Sweet Success!!!

Spoiler
I had to step away - mow the lawn - sleep on it:

Had the right idea, but so important to make sure data stays in the correct relative order...which the transpose was not doing for me initially.  Fixed that and realized I had spelled "coefficient" incorrectly as well in the O input. 

Not the easiest tool to master, but kept re-reading the Tool mastery page until something clicked.

ggruccio_0-1588109494313.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Solution.

Spoiler
213.png

kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
kelvinlaw_0-1588125857939.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I would love to see the solution with constraints in rows@Ollie and I couldn't get it to work that way for neither love nor money.

Here's the solution with variables in rows at any rate,

Spoiler
woofwoof