Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #212: Draft Masters

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found hereSource: Steelers.comSource: Steelers.com

The 2020 NFL draft will occur later this week. Yay American Football! Let's look back at data from previous drafts to find out which teams used their draft picks most efficiently.

Each year the NFL holds a draft where aspiring collegiate players are selected to play for an NFL team. The draft takes place over 7 rounds with each team selecting players based on their performance in the previous season. Selections, also known as picks, can be traded amongst teams, resulting in some teams not selecting within given rounds and others having multiple picks.

In general, the earlier a pick is made in the draft the more valuable it is (i.e., you are likely to get a more valuable player with the first pick than the 10th pick). Sometimes, a highly valued prospect does not pan out and the valuable draft pick is wasted.

For this week’s challenge, create a list of the top three teams with the highest draft efficiency for each year of the data.

Blake
12 - Quasar

Not sure why but I'm getting SEA as being the most efficient for 2015 and all my 2019 teams are different than the expected output. Oh well, I'm confident in my workflow, someone please let me know where I went wrong! 

Spoiler
212a.png

Happy Monday! 

EDIT 11:45 AM CT : added video link

Spoiler

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Small variance in my results from the sample output data:

Spoiler
212.PNG
Victor_Mendes
8 - Asteroid

First time using the Arrange tool in a long time.

Also got a difference in 2019 and 2015, not sure about the final result

Spoiler
Victor_Mendes_0-1587393684398.png

johnemery
11 - Bolide

I agree with @Blake — my answers differ from the solution but completely agree with his.

In either case, this challenge kicked my butt for about 25 minutes for some reason. Guess my brain isn't working at full strength this morning.

Spoiler
Capturev2.PNG

And my solution video:

Spoiler

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Different result - but actually, I don't think there is a flaw in the logic.

Spoiler
workflow_212.png
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Also small differences...

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1587393209029.png

Blake
12 - Quasar

@johnemery @RolandSchubert @dsmdavid @Victor_Mendes 

I found the difference between the posted answer and your answers. 

The posted answer treats the new efficiency table as a string and which leads to the list being sorted incorrectly. 

Spoiler
postedposted

what we got - notice field type differencewhat we got - notice field type difference
postedpostedwhat we gotwhat we got

ss212.png

This is a good lesson in paying attention to your metadata/field types! 

The attached workflow shows how both answers can be reached. 

Ian_Johnson
7 - Meteor

Get a slightly different answer that is killing me..... will keep looking

Update.....all good with the new start data 🙂

Spoiler
212 spoiler.PNG

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Blake Great Catch!

Apologies for the oversight. The corrected starting workflow has been posted! Happy Alterxy-ing!