Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #205: Taynalysis

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here!

Taynalysis: Analyzing Taylor Swift Lyrics

Whether you love her or hate her, Taylor Swift is one of the most popular musicians and songwriters of our time and her lyrics have been the source of both criticism and praise.
Her lyrics have also been the subject of a wide spectrum of analyses. Get in on the taynalysis by finding the top 10 words she uses in each album and then find out if her transformation from being a country singer to a pop star has affected the repetiveness of her albums.

Can't get enough of Taylor's lyrics? Take this Weekly Challenge up a notch by adding your own levels of analysis and reporting.

Check out these analyses for some swifspiration:
Text Analysis and Data Visualiztion with Taylor Swift Songs
Using Machine Learning to Analyze Taylor Swift's Lyrics

How Has Taylor Swift's Word Choice Changed Over Time?

giphy

*Note: As of 3-3-20 we uploaded a new start file. We realized the way we handled some grouping options and contractions created the discrepancy some people were experiencing.
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think the wrong start file might've been uploaded... 

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

whoops! You were correct, fixed. Thank you

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

I used a different approach to categorize the unique and duplicate lines.  Instead of using a Unique tool, I used a filter tool to separate unique lyrics with 1 count from all other lyrics, then performed my total counts and aggregated the results:

Spoiler
205.PNG

(edit 3/3 5:50 CDT) Video of solution overview:

Spoiler
Blake
12 - Quasar

I can't quite get my numbers to tie, I'll be interested to see the posted solution tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll just.... 

giphy.gif

Spoiler
205.png
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Wasn't quite clear how the numbers were calculated,  it ended up being easier as expected.

Spoiler
challenge205.png

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I am getting the same small discrepancies in my unique vs non-unique lyrics.  Total lyrics and Top 10 tie to provided solution.

Spoiler
Workflow 205.png

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Tried two ways and got the same answer - which did not match the one provided (off by a few).   Looks like others have experienced the same...

sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
sonyakasenkramer_0-1583176882815.png

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I had a few slight discrepancies, which is apparently not unique. I'll be interested to see the official solution

Spoiler
Got a slightly different top 10 lyrics for Taylor Swift (2006) - I had should've instead of beautiful. This isn't in the Stop Words, but should and shouldn't are, so maybe it should be

Also my percentages were very slightly out
Challenge 205.png