Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #200: Sudoku Solver

Strohy
8 - Asteroid

Beginner and Intermediate solutions attached. Will have a look at advanced next but it looks really tough!

Spoiler
bstroh_0-1580168830768.png
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

And that makes 200!  Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced solutions.  I think I channeled @patrick_digan on this one.  Could have made the standard macro iterative to reduce number of tools, but runs fast and works as is.  I still prefer the "brain and pencil" method, but nice to be able to create a workflow of how my brain solves Sudoku puzzles.  

Spoiler
Iterative MacroIterative Macro

Std MacroStd Macro

WorkflowWorkflow

LifebloomX
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Beginner and Intermediate done. I'll post the solutions for advanced when I have more time later.
LifebloomX_0-1580174894901.png

terry10
11 - Bolide

I had fun solving the intermediate. I did have to talk myself into using strings instead of math! I will attempt the advanced later for practice writing iterative macros. - terry10

Spoiler
Spoiler
challenge 200 ss.PNG

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is solution for intermediate leave. 

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Solved Beginner level!

Spoiler
nivi_s_0-1580179767148.png
CCarroll-
7 - Meteor

Here's my attempt at Beginner and Intermediate

Spoiler
  Beginner.pngIntermediate.png

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Beginner wasn't really a challenge and intermediate/advanced are basically the same when you try a general approach.

I solved it with a iterative macro and the approach to check rows/columns/tiles. No Python, No R involved. 

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my beginner solution... will need to work on more of it to get to intermediate and advances

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

I stuck with the Beginner solution which I solved by using the RegEx tool twice (attached workflow)

Spoiler
200.jpg

If I wished to completely solve the Sudoku, I would study the solution created by my colleague Fred Koenders. He described it in a blog some time ago (link in Dutch: https://infotopics.nl/blog/2018/07/20/sudoku-solver-met-alteryx/)

Best,

Roland

Infotopics - Benelux partner of the year
Empowering business through analytics. See, Understand, Act!