community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #2: Preparing Delimited Data

Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

I've created a workflow that uses a formula and a select tool where the formula tool handles the removal of unwanted characters then assigns new fields the values of poem, poem ID and poem read date. I'm pretty sure that these can be handled by using a regular expression but I keep forgetting the syntax :) another skill that I need to refresh when work allows. Also, with this current flow, it will only work properly if the poem id remains at INT(3). Not as robust as I want it to be but I'll get there! Thank you guys!

Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 2.png
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 2.png
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 2.png
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Number 2.PNG
Atom

I used the Text to columns to parse the data then cleansed the punctuation from the file using the data cleanser. I then converted the dates using the Date/Time tool and finished by using the select tool to rename the columns and delete unnecessary ones.

Alteryx Partner

I tried regex first of all for stripping quotes. I got the quotes out, but don't think I was escaping the inverted comma properly. Ended up with clutzy find and replace, but it worked out. Also used Date Time conversion. 

Asteroid

Solution

Meteoroid

My solution

Asteroid

Challenge 2 solution