Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #2: Preparing Delimited Data

pseguin1960
6 - Meteoroid

It took me a while as I had to look for the information on how write the code to reformat the Poem_Read_Date column. 

prashant007
8 - Asteroid

my solution

andrmtts
6 - Meteoroid

my solution

finners37
7 - Meteor

My solution . I must admit I found this tricky but I felt a great sense of achievement when I cracked it.

dbAlfa
8 - Asteroid

Below my solution

Hatchetman
7 - Meteor

This is my first weekly challenge submission.  Here is my solution, a bit basic, but it gets the job done. It is very instructive to be able to see how others solved the same problem.  

I see how the posted solution is more efficient in terms of getting there in fewer steps. I used Cleanse and the DateTime tool (2 steps) while the posted solution accomplished the same thing in just one step by converting two separate fields with just one (Formula) tool.  I see the power of the Formula tool in that by nesting functions one can take multiple actions on a single field at once rather than have to have multiple tools in succession accomplish the same thing.  I can see how mastery of the Formula tool and the embedded functions can be leveraged to make one's workflows much more efficient.

I think doing this as more steps using just the basic tool functionality without customized Formula functions is more straight forward and easier for a newer (or less technical) person to follow along at the cost perhaps of some inefficiency (extra operations).  Perhaps not an issue when dealing with such a small amount of data but could make a difference on a large dataset.  

One thing I think the posted solution is missing however is matching the field length (53) of the final output of the variable string Poem field, which is why I added the Auto Field tool.

Arjunkns95
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
#2.JPG

Helps learn the basics.

maleu_ramos
7 - Meteor

Used the date time parse tool instead of the solution's formula using regular expression I believe? 

ss0061933
5 - Atom

Simple scenario , solution.JPG

Revised concept of , Split, Trim, Column data type formatting 

AnyoneCanModel
7 - Meteor

good books.