Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #2: Preparing Delimited Data

vfranklin
6 - Meteoroid

A little different from the posted solution, but it works

schenkelpat
7 - Meteor

First Challenge--I came up with a different solution than posted, but this one seems to work.  Are their pros/cons to solving this problem in different ways?  I used 3 text to columns and datetime to come up with  my solution.  It was more tools than the posted solution.  I assume the benefit is efficiency?

Thanks,
Pat

chpoland
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Workflow2.PNG
MortimerKahn
5 - Atom

Done in a slightly different order than the posted solution, and with two solutions that yield the same result.   Both the StripQuotes and ReplaceChar functions work equally well to remove the quotations in this instance.

Learnings/assumptions I've gathered from this challenge:

1)  Using the ReplaceChar function...

a) for the apostrophes, the character needed to be encased in quotations - I assume this is the case for all characters other than quotations?

b) for the quotations, the character needed to be encased in apostrophes - is this unique to replacing quotations?

2)  The DateTimeParse function requires that the format of the incoming string data be defined as part of the function.  In the case of this challenge "%d-%b-%y" and outputs in the the standard ISO format yyyy-mm-dd

a) %d = Day of the month ("16" and "25")

b) %b = Abbreviated month name ("JUN" and "DEC")

c) %y = Last two digits of the year ("01" and "10")

Please respond if these assumptions are incorrect or if there's anything to add

MortimerKahn
5 - Atom

Responding to my last post to clarify some of my own questions... either apostrophes or quotations can be used as part of the ReplaceChar function, however it is still correct that apostrophes need to encase a quotation mark to remove it, while quotations would need to encase an apostrophe.  Both can be used for other characters

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution. A bit different from the original, not using formula tool but Cleanse tool and DateTime tool instead.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution. A bit different from the original, not using Formula tool but Cleanse tool and DateTime tool instead.

Y-L
7 - Meteor

My solution below.

DataHabanero
9 - Comet

Working it. Great fun as well.

MitchKibble
7 - Meteor