Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #195: XML Parsing

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

I've never worked with XML before, so this was a neat exploration into the parse tool! 

Spoiler
JustinBabbittEAG_0-1578326569806.png
Justin Babbitt
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
Featuring my favorite tool, Make Columns - not once, but twice!! 🙂 There is almost certainly a more efficient way to parse this, but this is the logic my brain took, and since I got to use my favorite tool, I'm just going to go with it.

WeeklyChallenge195.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

Laszlo_D
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Laszlo_D_0-1578357852091.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@OllieClarke Haha. You know me too well Ollie. I was searching for your post thinking "...I bet he's used Regex". But well done.

My solution attached,

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflowAnd Using CSS Selectors in BeautifulSoupAnd Using CSS Selectors in BeautifulSoup
Strohy
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

Spoiler
bstroh_0-1578440227306.png
Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Hi All,

My submission is below.

Spoiler
I parsed the XML using the child of entry and source separately and the joined them back together with a RecordID.
-I really enjoyed learning about XML and parsing, as I don't have much experience in the matter.
-Cheers!

Matt

Capture.PNG
cdavis19
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
cdavis19_0-1578652622712.png
ErikaLoz
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
ErikaLoz_0-1578665834837.png

I use VS Code to view XML text and expand/collapse nodes, which is really helpful to understand XML structure. 

ecaprice
5 - Atom
Spoiler
I actually work with XML files frequently so I figured this was a good choice as my first challenge. 
image.png
TonyAdam
8 - Asteroid

I solved it, but I have to admit that some other solution are way more elegant 🙂

Spoiler
tonyadam_1-1578780827806.png