Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #195: XML Parsing

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

I've never worked with XML before, so this was a neat exploration into the parse tool! 

Spoiler
JustinBabbittEAG_0-1578326569806.png
Justin Babbitt
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
Featuring my favorite tool, Make Columns - not once, but twice!! 🙂 There is almost certainly a more efficient way to parse this, but this is the logic my brain took, and since I got to use my favorite tool, I'm just going to go with it.

WeeklyChallenge195.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

Laszlo_D
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Laszlo_D_0-1578357852091.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@OllieClarke Haha. You know me too well Ollie. I was searching for your post thinking "...I bet he's used Regex". But well done.

My solution attached,

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflowAnd Using CSS Selectors in BeautifulSoupAnd Using CSS Selectors in BeautifulSoup
Strohy
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

Spoiler
bstroh_0-1578440227306.png
Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Hi All,

My submission is below.

Spoiler
I parsed the XML using the child of entry and source separately and the joined them back together with a RecordID.
-I really enjoyed learning about XML and parsing, as I don't have much experience in the matter.
-Cheers!

Matt

Capture.PNG
cdavis19
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
cdavis19_0-1578652622712.png
ErikaLoz
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
ErikaLoz_0-1578665834837.png

I use VS Code to view XML text and expand/collapse nodes, which is really helpful to understand XML structure. 

ecaprice
5 - Atom
Spoiler
I actually work with XML files frequently so I figured this was a good choice as my first challenge. 
image.png
TonyAdam
8 - Asteroid

I solved it, but I have to admit that some other solution are way more elegant 🙂

Spoiler
tonyadam_1-1578780827806.png