Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #195: XML Parsing

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

You never know where one will come across an interesting challenge.xml_brackets.png

The following was posted as a response to a post called "XML Parsing for Beginners".

"I have a file (a sample is included below) that contains information about an item. My task is to generate a list that associates the item identifier to the specific attributes, for example from this sample, I'd be looking for something along this sort of output table:

item_identifier | grade_level | subject | Depth of Knowledge | Bloom's Taxonomy | etc etc"

So, basically a table that has all of the <source><langstring> as the title and the <taxon><entry> as the value. Then to make things a little more complex, when you get to the <source><langstring>Standard, there are multiples with the same name but different values, and I need all the values."

EW
11 - Bolide

Looking forward to seeing other people's more...  elegant...  solutions but this seems to get the job done and match the output!

Spoiler
195 EW.PNG
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
wc 195.PNG
Blake
12 - Quasar

my relationship with XML can be best described as 'love-hate' 

Spoiler
WC195.png
JReid
9 - Comet

Here's my results. Haven't gotten to play too much with XML parsing, but I'm familiar with the structure of XML files.

Spoiler
I took the strategy of defining my taxonomy and then choosing the two child fields I was interested in, which i found from taking the text into notepad++. There's probably a more dynamic solution if I had more than two fields, but this worked for the use case.

JReid_0-1577120329154.png
David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

This one was pretty easy.   But I used XML a lot when I career-changed into programming.

Spoiler
195.png
rmassambane
10 - Fireball
Spoiler
195.PNG

I joined two XMLs child parses to reach the result.

BradWerner
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
New to XML parsing but was inspired by @rmassambane's screenshot to figure out how the tools were configured. Great idea!

195 Complete.png
jmt214
8 - Asteroid

This was my first time parsing XML. While I don't totally understand what's happening under the hood, I did get the answer with minimal Googling!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
RobertW
Alteryx
Alteryx

My output has the same records but in a slightly different order...

Spoiler
RobertW_0-1577133384821.png