Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #192: Crane Leasing

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here

In this week’s challenge, a handyman and local television star needs your assistance assessing his business using date/time analyses.

Bob, whose profession had been builder, decided to transition his business towards leasing construction equipment. Among other equipment, he has two cranes that he has been leasing for a while. He wants to get a better idea how his crane leasing business has been going.

Create a workflow that will show how many days both of his cranes have been leased at the same time during the years 2016-2018, the only years where he has a full set of data for both cranes.

Bob the Builder with Crane.jpg

Source: GIPHY

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

Spoiler
192.png

Blake
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
ss192.jpg
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is my solution. 

Spoiler
sol.PNG
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! 

Spoiler
Pro Tip: Read ALL the instructions and understand what is in your data... Crane Status is apparently an important piece of information 🙂

WeeklyChallenge192.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Great practice parsing and manipulating dates with Alteryx!

Spoiler
192_AH.PNG
viveknshah
8 - Asteroid

Yes we can!!! 

Spoiler
challenge_192_shvive.png

My DateTime field ended up being in String when I applied the formula initially and was getting so close yet no cigar till I debugged and switched the format. 

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Got a slightly different result until I looked at the data and realized that a crane could be both leased and something else on a given day.

Spoiler
Workflow 192.JPG

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Probably could be done smoother, but hey it works.  

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I love using the dateTimeParse inside a multi-field tool to handle multiple conversions and changing the field to a date type.
Annotation 2019-12-02 145033.jpg