Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #19: Excel Record Locator

Hatchetman
7 - Meteor

Here are 2 solutions.

The first is a bit of a cheat as I did not 100% follow the instructions and used two Input tools but is very scalable if we only need to bring in two ranges on the same sheet.  If the number of ranges per sheet increased dramatically, not so scalable.

The second using only one Input tool I struggled with.  I was able to get there eventually but the solution is not as easily scalable with additional cell ranges. The provided solution is a much more elegant and scalable way to get these regardless of the number of files or ranges.  I didn't even thing of using the   Multirow formula to give each file's data a recurring row count that could be lined up to pull specific row info from no matter how many files were imported, very clever.

I am really enjoying learning how different people solve a problem with sometimes very different approaches and tools to get there.

harrame
8 - Asteroid
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
harrame_0-1656448055677.png

Took a couple tries to find an elegant solution but I think I did okay. Learned some stuff about querying Excel!

Edit - looking through everyone else's solutions and it looks like I have a lot more to learn about excel haha

cyg3003
8 - Asteroid

I have no idea how to do so I check the solution workflow and then finished my workflow.

padraigfmac
7 - Meteor

I split the problem into two parts, one column at a time and then combined the outcomes are the end.

Spoiler
challenge_19_PDM.gif

josephmzhang
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
challenge_19_solution_screenshot.jpg
AnnaELawrence
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
AnnaELawrence_0-1656701048292.png

tip77
7 - Meteor

:|

lucysinclair62
8 - Asteroid

My Solution Below! Might try it with a directory next time :) used more tools than other people but still works!

Spoiler
lucysinclair62_0-1657553886798.png

sandeep4076
6 - Meteoroid

Solution

jbichachi003
8 - Asteroid

My solution!

Spoiler
Challenge 19 solutionChallenge 19 solution