Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #184: Closest Pubs to Tobacco Dock

meeravijayan2011
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
SPOILER

184.png
Bdonahue
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
 I took the Alteryx Conference Location input, split it to rows and removed Leading/Trailing Whitespaces.  I then appended back the original location for kicks.  I did a right() function to pull the direction of the coordinate.  I then normalized the latitude or longitude by multiplying it by 1 or -1 for N,W and S,E.  I pivoted back on the original location and then created a point and then used the trade area to create a 1km circle (Everyone uses miles in England... Kilometers are all a lie!).  I created a point for each bar and, as they already were correctly formatted, used the spatial match to see where target records matched the trade area "universe".  I then grabbed the Ward maps and joined those to the returns to figure out that Greenwich is across the river (and where the English decided the Prime Meridian would run) from the conference.  I excluded all records in that ward and was left with 4 results.  I compared the distances and sorted (in Feet from the venue) the list of pubs.  Henley arms is your best bet at just under 3/10ths of a mile.  
Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 4.05.58 PM.png
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge! The formatting in reporting tools always teaches me something new. Went for the original and advanced solutions - relying on the Distance tool to get the job done. Keen to see how others have approached the grouping across the river.

Spoiler
1.png

Original Solution
Snag_617a93a4.png
Advanced Solution
Snag_617b5aad.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I love spatial challenges!!!

Spoiler
Basic approach: 
image.png

And advanced. Couldn't figure out how to get a shapefile of the area needed, so just traced using a map input. Then broke the pubs into north and south of the river. Find Nearest works to find the cardinal direction, and then a filter to separate north and south.

image.png

The workflow:

image.png

Most importantly, pub crawl at Inspire Europe?

Cheers!

Esther

Sebenius
8 - Asteroid

Clean one and a small catcha on it as well if one is to quick.

Spoiler
Weekly 184Weekly 184Map.Map.
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

My solution, spent most of the time trying to match the formatting of the map!

LukeM

Map rendered with North and South of the river in pink and blue

For those coming to Inspire there are a few good pubs in that area. Notably The Town of Ramsgate and the Angel. Angel is up there with the best in London.

WC1842.PNG

Lost a fair bit of time on that advanced one, trying to create two separate shapes form the polygon and river line. Eventually realised there was a much neater way...

Spoiler
WC184.PNG

Great fun. See you all at Inspire!

@JosephSerpis interested to know how you created that polygon?

DanielMS
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Nice one!

Spoiler
Untitled.png
hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Nice one, looking forward to Inspire next week!

I did for only pubs on one side of the river which was a nice challenge

Spoiler
I got the Thames shapefile from here: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
image.png

image.png