Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #184: Closest Pubs to Tobacco Dock

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here

Are you going to Inspire London?  So are we, and we couldn't be more excited!  Between two full days of Platform Training, a variety of breakout sessions, keynotes, and (our fave!) THE GRAND PRIX, we are ready to get.amplified!

Surely, all this activity will make us pretty thirsty.  In preparation for Inspire, complete this week's challenge to map out the nearest pubs to Tobacco Dock where we can grab a pint with fellow Alteryx aficionados. 

visual_asset.gif

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Break up lat lon into two fields; create points, create trade area, and spatial match. Looks like 4 Pubs within 1 km.

Spoiler
2019-10-07_9-41-30.jpg
JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Same as others it seems. Fun little one

Spoiler
Capture.JPG
LukeG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Spoiler
Challenge_184_LG.PNG

Used Spatial Match and Find Nearest to get same solution

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
1) I didn't realize that I had to use a negative on the x value to get the right spot.
2) I think this is a great use of custom map icons
Annotation 2019-10-07 130733.jpg
viveknshah
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge_184_shvive.png

Hopefully I met the ROYAL STANDARD! , else probably just REACH out my HENLEY ARMS upto BRICK LANE BREWS

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Fun challenge. Too bad I can't get to Inspire and check the dock out in person...

Spoiler
I got caught by the "W" on the longitude and forgot to change the sign. The solution set me straight...

Added a solution to finding all the pubs on the same side of the Thames. It's not pretty and has some limitations but it's the best I could come up with. Looking forward to seeing others' solutions.

EDIT: Added a second version of the solution that doesn't have the limitations of the first one

viveknshah
8 - Asteroid

Learnt I made a blooper thanks to 

Spoiler
challenge_184_2_shvive.png
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

As it should be...32 pubs within one KM.  I'm kinda' wary about the Slug and Lettuce, though.   

R.png

Spoiler
w.png
Split lat/lon and change the lon to - since it's W.  Find nearest within 1KM and spend some quality time in the Map tool to get icons.  

Dan  

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Spoiler
I don't work with Lat/Long very often, let alone with London addresses, but I quickly learned that W meant to multiply that number by -1 based on the given output.

Capture.PNG

I wonder how many of these pubs @BenMoss has been to...