community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #183: Roman Numeral Math

Alteryx Certified Partner

Attached is my solution. I needed to use a macro, not sure if it is the best solution.

Asteroid
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Quasar

I did not know about the existence of dynamic replace! Goes to show that you can always learn something new, even if you use Alteryx all the time. Never Stop Learning!

I decided to go the macro route, drawing my inspiration from the CReW dynamic formula tool. Definitely the more complicated route... But hey, when else are you editing the XML in a tool?!

Spoiler
Challenge #183.PNG
Bolide

ACK! This made my head hurt! But oh, so much fun!!!

Bolide
Bolide

Looks like several other of the responses had the same issue I did.  I could not match the output in the solution.  I even resorted to copying it to Excel to see what it would produce.  It is an order of operations issue as many have identified.

Spoiler
I also was a bit challenged in the sense that I solved the find/replace and created the equation, but could not figure out for the life of me how to take what was in the field and make Alteryx calculate it out.  I tried a formula based on ToNumber(Field) and it would only calculate the first value in the expression for some reason (1732)....so I resorted to using the formula tool and copying and pasting the expression into it manually....which works, but I may need to examine ways others got the expression to actualize.

Asteroid

Here is my solution..  it's not pretty, but it works 

Spoiler
challenge_183_PD spoiler.JPG
Asteroid

This is great! I had a good time solving this one out I've also tried to make my workflow work with other roman calculations, not just this one.

Spoiler
image.png

Alteryx Certified Partner

Challenge Completed 

My solution attached. Great challenge!

Bolide
Spoiler
Annotation 2019-10-07 105800.png

Sam