Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #183: Roman Numeral Math

DarekS
7 - Meteor

solved

danicahui
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Had to fiddle around a bit with the dynamic replace, got there in the end!

Challenge 183 2021-03-05.jpg
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Wasn't sure if we should make it compatible with future roman numeral challenges or just hard code the equation into this one...

Luke_C
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Luke_C_0-1617664212469.png

alexvornsand
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Workflow.PNG
mpennington
11 - Bolide

I was kind of proud of this one, because I had an unconventional idea that I thought could work and I made it. I'll provide a description for anyone interested:

Spoiler
So my thought was to build out a string formula to evaluate with a dynamic replace.  I thought the first step would be to add the subtractive rules for evaluation in a RegEx.
2021-04-26_17-35-19.jpg
I needed to union these to the provided roman numerals and equivalents, but as I wanted to evaluate it with a RegEx, I knew I needed to match the subtractive rules first, so I changed the order in the union. 
Snag_1157941a.png
I then built a summary tool to concatenate a string for RegEx evaluation. I did manually copy this string into the RegEx tool after my initial creation with the summary tool.  But it should work for other similar formula and roman numeral evaluations.  Again the 4, 9, 40, 90, etc would need to be matched first in order to not match the individual patterns (the I & V in 4).  That looks like this
Snag_115aafc2.png
After that I had to build a formula to insert parenthetics and plus signs in the formula. It got a bit complex, but I essentially created it step by step, evaluating each as I went.
Multirow.jpg
Formula text.jpg
I'm no expert on the dynamic replace tool, and it takes a bit of configuration to make it work. But ultimately it produced this workflow and evaluated consistent with the solution.  Hope someone finds this interesting and or useful.  -mp
solutionroman.jpg
DaisukeTsuchiya
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
キャプチャ.JPG

JasonHu
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
workflow.png

Here is my submission, spend long time to avoid manual calculation in the last step, but I couldn't find the way to do it. nice to know and learn dynamic replace tool, never use it before.

JackBurnham
8 - Asteroid

b

xAJBx
7 - Meteor

Is the solution correct?