Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #183: Roman Numeral Math

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Attached is my solution. I needed to use a macro, not sure if it is the best solution.

acastelazo
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
kat
12 - Quasar

I did not know about the existence of dynamic replace! Goes to show that you can always learn something new, even if you use Alteryx all the time. Never Stop Learning!

I decided to go the macro route, drawing my inspiration from the CReW dynamic formula tool. Definitely the more complicated route... But hey, when else are you editing the XML in a tool?!

Spoiler
Challenge #183.PNG
smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

ACK! This made my head hurt! But oh, so much fun!!!

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Looks like several other of the responses had the same issue I did.  I could not match the output in the solution.  I even resorted to copying it to Excel to see what it would produce.  It is an order of operations issue as many have identified.

Spoiler
I also was a bit challenged in the sense that I solved the find/replace and created the equation, but could not figure out for the life of me how to take what was in the field and make Alteryx calculate it out.  I tried a formula based on ToNumber(Field) and it would only calculate the first value in the expression for some reason (1732)....so I resorted to using the formula tool and copying and pasting the expression into it manually....which works, but I may need to examine ways others got the expression to actualize.

pjdit
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution..  it's not pretty, but it works  🙂

Spoiler
challenge_183_PD spoiler.JPG
hanykowska
11 - Bolide

This is great! I had a good time solving this one out 🙂 I've also tried to make my workflow work with other roman calculations, not just this one.

Spoiler
image.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed 

kpellegrini14
5 - Atom

My solution attached. Great challenge!

SamDesk
11 - Bolide
Spoiler