Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #183: Roman Numeral Math

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here.

This week's challenge was shared by @LordNeilLord  and @JReid  from an original post by @AnandKumar1. Thanks to all of you for sharing this challenge!

This challenge includes two inputs: 1) An equation written in Roman numerals and 2) a look-up table of certain Roman numerals. Solve the equation and return the answer as an integer.

asset.gif

Update: Start file updated on 10/1/2019

AnandKumar1
8 - Asteroid

Feels good when your question comes in weekly challenge. Lets see how many different solutions will come 🙂

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I've been waiting for this one to come up 🙂

Martyn
9 - Comet

I get a different result - could be me - but you might want to check it.

Spoiler
image.png
ZenonH
8 - Asteroid

I got a different answer, but I was a little confused about how the order of operations should have been handled given how the formula was given. 
[1]*[3]/([5]+[7]-[9]) vs ([1]*[3]/[5])+[7]-[9] (both were far off from the provided answer, which was close to just [1]*[3] less ~300 or so

Spoiler
ZhSOL.png

Looks like The provided solution took ((1732*79)/9 )+(1-7)/9 and took the /9 off the first set of brackets  after converting -6/9 --> -54.
136828-54=136744. off by ~1

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

I don't know how the "solution" was generated but it sure didn't follow PEMDAS rules.  Anywho, another lunch break given over to another weekly challenge.  I think I need to clean up and publish my macro within my organization.

Spoiler
183.png

Edit:  Once I had the formula with the correct Hindu-Arabic numerals I thought I needed a macro.   But then I learned from @Martyn that the Dynamic Replace tool will do what I needed.  And this is why one should always review other's solutions. 

viveknshah
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge_183_shvive.png

Struggled a bit with evaluating the expression only to realise the wonder called Dynamic Replace. My answer matches to what almighty Google thinks so I'd like to believe I am on the right track even though the solution result seems to be way off from my answer. 

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Finally, I understand why I've learned latin ... but I've got a different result.

Spoiler
30-09-_2019_18-29-56.png
I splitted the roman numeral to single characters, translated the characters, applied roman numeral logic (small number before a larger number => subtract, else add) and created a formula string.

30-09-_2019_18-30-12.png
I handed the formula string to a macro

30-09-_2019_18-33-30.png
Calculation result is different
30-09-_2019_18-34-21.png

ZenonH
8 - Asteroid

After seeing you can interpret strings as formulas in @Martyn 's solution I went in and modified the end of my workflow to incorporate what I learned from him. 

Spoiler
ZhSOL2.png
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Mine isn't dynamic enough to pick up if the order of operations is in the incorrect order, but does the job here.
Also getting 15,197

Capture.PNG