Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #182: Word Sleuthing

jfgirouard
7 - Meteor

Done!

NoraW
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Challenge_182_NW.PNG

SimonSturges
7 - Meteor

Like others i couldn't get to the same counts but i understand the logic. 

Spoiler
Screenshot_2019-11-10 18.12.24_iuJJR4.pngScreenshot_2019-11-10 18.13.21_DVKPCm.png
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 182 is done!

Spoiler
image.png
LiD
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
LiD_1-1574115985223.png

RegEx tool was the essential component in this workflow.

However, it seems that depending on the pattern specification, the results may be different!

While "\w+" and "\<\w+\>" result the same as the solution demonstrates, the specification "[[:alpha]]+" and "[a-zA-Z]+" will provide different results, as the digits will be excluded. The suggested solution "\<\w+\>" would potentially even recognize 0, 00, 003 etc. as word. Thus this approach may blow off the true number of total words.

It would be really interesting to know, if there's further clarification why the solution has used "\<\w+\>" rather than "[[:alpha]]+" or "[a-zA-Z]+" as pattern.

tiffany_chen
8 - Asteroid

I have learned something new from this case. First is a new RegularExpression '\w+' which could eliminate space, tab and all punctuations. The second one is 'Download' tool from Developer tab which is useful when I have to get dynamic data from website. Great learn!

Spoiler
2019-11-19_120126.png
payam2
8 - Asteroid

When looking at words, I thought it makes more sense to look at them all in lower caps so the same words are counted as unique rather than individuals, so my result is different from what was given.

Federico_Albano
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
Federico_Albano_0-1574354962954.png
MattBenj
9 - Comet

Not sure if I nailed all of the specifics but I at least got the just of the challenge.

BrettR
7 - Meteor

So many different ways to define what is a word, but I think this gets the main point across.