Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #182: Word Sleuthing

ultrarunner
8 - Asteroid

Mine didn't have the same result either.

Capture.JPG

agrawaluk
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
77.PNG
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
ch12345
7 - Meteor

I'm a bit more fussy about what I consider words, but there are some obvious exclusions that probably shouldn't be (221B being a prime example). There are a lot of rules that could be added to make the extraction less flawed (for example splitting the data using a null, new line and space delimiter and selection of unusual semantics (e.g. multiple spaces or tabs) to detect where a word is unusual and so not acceptable in body text.

Anyway, here is a lazy example based on some additional rules as to what might be considered a word.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
GBGguilbert
5 - Atom

Like many others in this thread, I can't quite get the total to line, up, but i seem to be going in the right direction with my logic.

Anyone have a good work around for splitting the concatenated words?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Fun.

Big.txt is a compendium of multiple works, though.  Try Remembrance of Things Past for a single monumental work,  700K words in 7 volumes.  Proust had a lot of free time on his hands!

Spoiler
w.png

Dan

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Solution attached

nini
8 - Asteroid

I got the exact results after I have fixed the truncate issues when import .txt file

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
A different answer to the solution, but in part due to cleaning the data up to make all words lowercase.

Challenge 182.PNG
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Love the dynamic input tool!!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG