Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #181: Ingredients of an Old Southern

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge181.PNG
viveknshah
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge_181_shvive.png

Ended up using CrossTab because I like my drink shaken not stirred. 

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

My solution

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hello @T_Willins 

That must have been a pretty good class on web scrapping; the only thing that I don't undersand much is the use of two REGEX operators on the Ingredients group (.*?)

The asterisk operator should match the preceeding character zero or more times, and the ? operator should match it zero or one time. I am a little confused on the purpose of the ? operator following the asterisk. It seems that with or without it pulls the same results. Is there any strategy behind it?

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax/basic_extended.html

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @JORGE4900.  I used the (.*?) as habit as I have had too many times when my wildcard .* returned to long of a string.  In this specific data set it is not needed and (.*) would return the same results.  Adding the ? makes the operator non-greedy.  There is a great page on Perl Syntax at:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/RegEx-Perl-Syntax-Guide/ta-p/1288

If you get a chance to take the webscraping (or any other pre-conference classes) at #Inspire I would strongly recommend them. 

LukeG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Spoiler
Challenge_181_LG.PNG

Niceeeeee

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hi @NicoleJohnson 

I really enjoyed looking at your application. Very nice job, and I have to say Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris sound pretty good for a sunny day.

paulckennedy
5 - Atom

My first challenge. Not a bad way to learn about how to work in the designer.

garthn555
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
181.png