Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #181: Ingredients of an Old Southern

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge181.PNG
viveknshah
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge_181_shvive.png

Ended up using CrossTab because I like my drink shaken not stirred. 

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

My solution

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hello @T_Willins 

That must have been a pretty good class on web scrapping; the only thing that I don't undersand much is the use of two REGEX operators on the Ingredients group (.*?)

The asterisk operator should match the preceeding character zero or more times, and the ? operator should match it zero or one time. I am a little confused on the purpose of the ? operator following the asterisk. It seems that with or without it pulls the same results. Is there any strategy behind it?

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax/basic_extended.html

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @JORGE4900.  I used the (.*?) as habit as I have had too many times when my wildcard .* returned to long of a string.  In this specific data set it is not needed and (.*) would return the same results.  Adding the ? makes the operator non-greedy.  There is a great page on Perl Syntax at:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/RegEx-Perl-Syntax-Guide/ta-p/1288

If you get a chance to take the webscraping (or any other pre-conference classes) at #Inspire I would strongly recommend them. 

LukeG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Spoiler
Challenge_181_LG.PNG

Niceeeeee

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hi @NicoleJohnson 

I really enjoyed looking at your application. Very nice job, and I have to say Frozen Strawberry Daiquiris sound pretty good for a sunny day.

paulckennedy
5 - Atom

My first challenge. Not a bad way to learn about how to work in the designer.

garthn555
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
181.png