Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #180: Thousand File Challenge

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

My solution might be too simple, no macros, but it works and was pretty easy.  The caching feature helped a lot here.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
andresleonm
7 - Meteor
Spoiler

My solution 🙂

clipboard_image_0.png

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hey there @Adam_Dooley 

Your solution helped me identify the error in my solution. I was using a directory tool followed by the dynamic input, but when it pulls the .sz extension--(Alteryx Spatial Zip File), it populates the same incorrect value for the num field for all records.

Spoiler
2019-09-10_11-26-46.jpg

I was surprised that the tools pull different values. Does anyone know why? Wait a minute; I found out why; I changed the configuration of the dynamic input to read and change Entire File Path, and it pulled the correct values as seen below.

Spoiler
2019-09-10_11-37-10.jpg
Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Glad to hear the post was helpful @JORGE4900 !!

Ritu_Gowlikar
5 - Atom
Spoiler
SPOILER

STEPS:

• Unzipped all the files manually and stored them in a folder.
  • I created a text input file with all the file formats.

clipboard_image_1.png

• Created a macro to read all the files from the  directory tool and file formats from the text input.

clipboard_image_2.png

FILE WORKFLOW:

clipboard_image_0.png

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here are 2 potential solutions (see spoiler for details)

Spoiler
I almost add it done without extracting the files in advance from the ZIP but there are some file types that cannot be opened from a ZIP in Alteryx :(.
Unsupported from Zip.png

So I finally add to extract all data and then loop (at least my extraction macro was already done :)).

One other issue I had to learn the hard way... if you force a macro to return all data even if the outputs are different... you need to put a browse after... if not... only displays the first row (was starting to drive me nuts).

Overall, lots of fun using tools I don't use everyday!!!

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Had a few fits and starts with this one. It would help if I read the instructions more closely...

Spoiler

2019-09-11_10-50-22.png

Sophia
5 - Atom

I can't download files in any of weekly challenges. Any idea why? Thank you, Sophie

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Like several other people I spent time trying to come up with a solution to read from the .zip file and got the same error on files that cannot be read directly from a .zip file.

Spoiler
Workflow 180.GIF

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Wow,

This one took me awhile, as I could figure out why my total was way off until I peeked at other solutions to see that the FID files were throwing things off.

-Cheers!

Matt

Spoiler
Workflow.PNGMACRO.PNG