Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #180: Thousand File Challenge

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

My solution might be too simple, no macros, but it works and was pretty easy.  The caching feature helped a lot here.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
andresleonm
7 - Meteor
Spoiler

My solution 🙂

clipboard_image_0.png

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hey there @Adam_Dooley 

Your solution helped me identify the error in my solution. I was using a directory tool followed by the dynamic input, but when it pulls the .sz extension--(Alteryx Spatial Zip File), it populates the same incorrect value for the num field for all records.

Spoiler
2019-09-10_11-26-46.jpg

I was surprised that the tools pull different values. Does anyone know why? Wait a minute; I found out why; I changed the configuration of the dynamic input to read and change Entire File Path, and it pulled the correct values as seen below.

Spoiler
2019-09-10_11-37-10.jpg
Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Glad to hear the post was helpful @JORGE4900 !!

Ritu_Gowlikar
5 - Atom
Spoiler
SPOILER

STEPS:

• Unzipped all the files manually and stored them in a folder.
  • I created a text input file with all the file formats.

clipboard_image_1.png

• Created a macro to read all the files from the  directory tool and file formats from the text input.

clipboard_image_2.png

FILE WORKFLOW:

clipboard_image_0.png

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here are 2 potential solutions (see spoiler for details)

Spoiler
I almost add it done without extracting the files in advance from the ZIP but there are some file types that cannot be opened from a ZIP in Alteryx :(.
Unsupported from Zip.png

So I finally add to extract all data and then loop (at least my extraction macro was already done :)).

One other issue I had to learn the hard way... if you force a macro to return all data even if the outputs are different... you need to put a browse after... if not... only displays the first row (was starting to drive me nuts).

Overall, lots of fun using tools I don't use everyday!!!

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Had a few fits and starts with this one. It would help if I read the instructions more closely...

Spoiler

2019-09-11_10-50-22.png

Sophia
5 - Atom

I can't download files in any of weekly challenges. Any idea why? Thank you, Sophie

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Like several other people I spent time trying to come up with a solution to read from the .zip file and got the same error on files that cannot be read directly from a .zip file.

Spoiler
Workflow 180.GIF

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Wow,

This one took me awhile, as I could figure out why my total was way off until I peeked at other solutions to see that the FID files were throwing things off.

-Cheers!

Matt

Spoiler
Workflow.PNGMACRO.PNG