Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #18: Predicting Baseball Wins

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Without taking a peak at anyone's work, I selected those ten highly correlated variables and create the linear regression; if you add the Win_Pct to the variables, it basically returns the same amount of wins. In addition of the R squared and adjusted R squared values being very low, almost none of the variable have good Pr values which makes them a low confidence predictors.

But the results match what was requested.

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hello there @samjohnson

I enjoyed looking at your solution; I would have liked to see the macro you mention work, but I do not have installed on my computer. I do like the fact you point out that choosing highly correlated variable may push the model not to correctly predict. It was nice seeing those PCAs in action; thanks for sharing.

samjohnson
7 - Meteor

Thanks @JORGE4900 for the kind words.

Challenge #18 posed an interesting conundrum: the challenges have presented "solutions" that everyone works towards with the goal of reproducing them. This is a key difference between developing a software solution and predictions. Software solutions can take many paths to one goal while predictive modeling can take many paths with multiple predictive solutions, or probabilities. Development is about certainty--get me from here to there with this software--while predictive modeling is about taking many paths to a probabilistic answer, whether that's a value between 0 and 1 or a value prediction such as baseball wins.

I'd like to see Alteryx support the rise of the "citizen data scientist" and focus on more tools that emphasize the predictive modeling tools and newer functionality in the data science community such as natural language processing and deep learning, consistent support for cross-validation (today it's built into some tools and not others), fix the problems with the wonderful but flawed Model Comparison tool, add support for hierarchical (and even non-numeric) clustering and cluster validation--does this data actually support 4 clusters?--and many other areas. 

As a practicing data scientist and leader of a team of 5, Alteryx can become one of the most powerful tools in our belts. It already is, but Alteryx support for the "process" of data science can make it even more powerful.

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

That is right @samjohnson

I guess that I would also like to see more support for the "citizen data scientist" as well; on the meantime, I came across Udacity's nanodegree program on Alteryx and Tableau and registered so that I could learn more about predictive analytics. On the other hand, I do like looking at everybody's approach to solving the weekly challenges because every individual takes a different path to get to the same answer. 

Talk to you soon; take care.

Best regards,

Jorge

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

Perhaps an alternative to this correlation analysis could be a multiple regression.

A multiple regression analysis would be done with independent variables that have a correlation coefficient less than 0.7 (as multicollinearity can cause other independent variable to seem statistically insignificant from 0) to find a statistically significant result.

dominiklz
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
18.PNG
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Took me some time to figure out how to bring back the 10 selected variables...still not used to transpose/crosstab

Spoiler
SPOILERch18.png
Amarendra
10 - Fireball

This was a fun one! 

samN
10 - Fireball

Wasn't sure what games back meant until i looked at the desired output. Not too bad for first time using predictive tools

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Love the predictive tools!  This was fun.