Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #18: Predicting Baseball Wins

rahmed
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My solution

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

So, I just couldn't bring myself to use both Runs and Runs per game as independent variables. Or RBIs. Or both OPS and adjusted OPS. Man, I really do miss baseball.

Best of all, this way the Sox don't win!

Spoiler
Tberney_0-1595453376100.png

varunvarma87
8 - Asteroid

Completed Challenge 18 !

DemandEngineer
8 - Asteroid

Loved this challenge though I'm not familiar with all the acronyms in baseball used here. I'm not sure why my predicted games won was not the same for Chicago... mine ended up being 77 vs 76.  I think it must have something to do with rounding.  I was predicting the Win percentage vs Wins because the team didn't play the same number of games... then use the percentage against the 162 games to get at the other numbers. 

Help me understand if I did something wrong.

FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx

The data investigation part is the most important to ensure reliable results.

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow
Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
Per
11 - Bolide

There must be a few different results for this depending on method used, but I apparently hit the right one

JethroChen
10 - Fireball
Spoiler
challenge_18_jc.PNG
Verakso
11 - Bolide

When I, over a year ago, started on these weekly challenges, I started off by number 1, the 2 ect. until I came to this one, then I got stucked.

Working with predictions, does not seem easy to me, and tbh, just "replicate" one of the other solutions, would not have helped me understand how to tackle this. 

That was until @johnemery gave a brilliant walk-through of the tools in Twin Cities Alteryx Usergroup, june this year.

You can see Johns presentation here on the tools here: https://youtu.be/sa0ej3enRDY?t=4180 but if you want to skip to his walk-through of this weekly challange, it is here: https://youtu.be/sa0ej3enRDY?t=6281

So big thanks to John, I learned a lot from that. all though my solution looks like yours 🙂 😄

Spoiler
2020-08-10 13_22_46-Window.png

Back on the track to the top
/Verakso

LittleE
8 - Asteroid

Nice.  My first time really using the predictive analytics tools. -e

Spoiler
LittleE_0-1598067495211.png

LHolmes
9 - Comet

Enjoyed using the predictive and data investigation tools on this one. Started wondering about connecting the variable analysis as an analytic app.

Spoiler
018 - Solution.PNG