community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #18: Predicting Baseball Wins

Alteryx Certified Partner

This is my proposed solution: I performed association analysis using Pearson's correlations. Next, I manually selected those fields and modelled the complete dataset using only those predictors  - and I explicitly disregarded any multicollinearity, assumptions checking etc. Subsequently I used that model to score the teams of interest and added two more fields: [Projected Losses] = Round(162 - [Projected Wins], 0)

[Games Back] = Round([Max_Projected Wins] - [Projected Wins], 0)

This shouldn't be the best way to perform this type of analysis as I'd prefer working with stepwise elimination and VIF and checks for multivariate normality... However, my results match with the solution... I'd suppose I should get a badge for this

Spoiler
18 - RWvL.png
Asteroid

Good practice with predictive tools! Also included a win difference percent to see how the model did

Alteryx Partner

Good to learn a bit of predictive 

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alteryx Certified Partner

My solution :) 

Fun fun fun! Full disclosure, I've never used the Association Analysis tool before so I did have to take a peek at a solution for this part.

Asteroid

Fun challenge!

Spoiler
challenge_18_solution.png
Asteroid

Solution attached

Spoiler
03-07-2019 09-37-13.png
Asteroid

Great Challenge for learning the predictive tools!

Spoiler
Solution-Challenge 018.PNG
Asteroid

Solution attached.  

Spoiler
Challenge 18 MP.png