community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #178: Chuck Like a Woodchuck

Pulsar
Pulsar
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Alteryx Partner

Challenge 178 is done. Just a slight issue with the soil composition data for "Dirt" totaling to 85% but enjoyed the challenge!

Spoiler
challenge 178 JMS solution.PNGchallenge 178 error expected output.PNG
Alteryx Partner

My solution attached.

Asteroid
Spoiler
178.PNG
Asteroid
Spoiler
2019-09-12 13_48_48-Greenshot.png
Asteroid

Nice one

Nebula
Nebula
And here was me thinking that we may never know the answer to this one...
Asteroid

So much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

Atom

Might have taken a not-so-elegant route here

Spoiler
178_Capture.PNG

Spoiler
This took me some time to finish. 
But all in all it was a fun challenge.

STEP:
1. Parsed the soil composition in the borrow file and then used a transpose tool to get all the soil types in one column.
2. After the transpose - the data was then parsed again to get the % composition of all the soil types.Also, additionally I have cleaned the data using the cleansing tool as there were leading spaces.
3. In the next step I calculated the room volume and also the %cubic value for each soil for a room.
4. In the next step I calculated the weight of the soil for each room.
5. In the next couple of step , I calculated the total weight of the soil for each borrow and then calculated the average weight of the soil for all borrows.
6. In the next step I calculated the average weight of the wood per cubic foot for all the wood types and appended it to the average soil weight we got form the previous step.
7 In the next step I calculated the Wood chucked if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

My numbers didn't match with the expected out at first as I didnt convert the (l,W,h) values to foot at first. Also all my calculated fields were integers. I had to convert them to 'Double' to get the exact result.