Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #178: Chuck Like a Woodchuck

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 178 is done. Just a slight issue with the soil composition data for "Dirt" totaling to 85% but enjoyed the challenge!

Spoiler
challenge 178 JMS solution.PNGchallenge 178 error expected output.PNG
PCORMIER
7 - Meteor

My solution attached.

fmeo
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
178.PNG
mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
2019-09-12 13_48_48-Greenshot.png
hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Nice one

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
And here was me thinking that we may never know the answer to this one...
Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

So much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

Shreyasi
6 - Meteoroid

Might have taken a not-so-elegant route here 😞

Spoiler
178_Capture.PNG
Ritu_Gowlikar
5 - Atom

Spoiler
This took me some time to finish. 
But all in all it was a fun challenge.

STEP:
1. Parsed the soil composition in the borrow file and then used a transpose tool to get all the soil types in one column.
2. After the transpose - the data was then parsed again to get the % composition of all the soil types.Also, additionally I have cleaned the data using the cleansing tool as there were leading spaces.
3. In the next step I calculated the room volume and also the %cubic value for each soil for a room.
4. In the next step I calculated the weight of the soil for each room.
5. In the next couple of step , I calculated the total weight of the soil for each borrow and then calculated the average weight of the soil for all borrows.
6. In the next step I calculated the average weight of the wood per cubic foot for all the wood types and appended it to the average soil weight we got form the previous step.
7 In the next step I calculated the Wood chucked if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

My numbers didn't match with the expected out at first as I didnt convert the (l,W,h) values to foot at first. Also all my calculated fields were integers. I had to convert them to 'Double' to get the exact result.