Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #178: Chuck Like a Woodchuck

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

The solution to last week's challenge can be found here.

How much could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?woodchuck.gif

Today we are ready to answer an age-old question that has been left unanswered: How much could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

To best calculate this, we need to make the following assumptions:
1. First off, a point of clarification that woodchucks do not chuck wood. But what if a woodchuck could chuck wood? As a burrowing creature, the best information we have is to understand the amount of soil excavated during burrowing. We can use the weight of soil excavated to equate it to the weight of wood.
2. All soil is not created equal. Per cubic foot of type of soil, moisture, density and make-up can vary.
3. All wood is not created equal; density of wood can largely affect the cubic foot weight.

The challenge:
1. We have provided a sampling of three different woodchuck burrows excavated over a 7 day period. Within a burrow there can be rooms and tunnels that makeup a burrow. Dimensions of the rooms and tunnels have been provided in addition to the soil composition of the excavation site. Using this data set, determine the cubic feet of soil excavated and, ultimately the weight of soil excavated from each burrow.
2. Take the average weight of soil 'chucked' from each burrow.
3. From the average weight of wood across 10 tree species, figure out how many cubic feet of wood would have been chucked if a woodchuck could chuck the wood.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Annotation 2019-08-26 124836.jpg
LifebloomX
7 - Meteor

There is an error in one of the rows within the Burrow Input Text data. 

clipboard_image_0.png

The row doesn't add up to 100 %. Also, what does the Cubit Foot Dried (lbs) mean exactly?

clipboard_image_1.png

Does this mean lbs per cubic foot? or ft^3 per pound (lb)?

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Fun one!

Spoiler
Capture.JPG
JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

I also noticed that error not matching 100% that @LifebloomX mentioned.

I used Regex to parse out the two fields--(Soil & Percent), but the following line always came out with extra spaces; I ended up using an extra data cleansing tool to get rid of the trailing space.

I love Regex tool, but sometimes it makes me struggle.

Sand, wet - 90%

\s*(.*)\s{1,2}-\s(\d{2})%

Spoiler
2019-08-26_10-21-54.jpg

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I also saw the less than 100% error.  Data collection workflow needs validations built in?  Now if a woodchuck sells seashells to make batter bitter was he fuzzy?

Spoiler
Workflow 178.GIF

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Spoiler
26-08-_2019_19-30-29.png
LifebloomX
7 - Meteor

I also didn't like the fact that we are told to take the average of the wood without knowing the ratio of the wood woodchucks use. The ratio of wood should've been provided just like the soil.

Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png

I got rid of the % by changing the field to Double.

fmeo
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
178.PNG
pjdit
8 - Asteroid

My Solution! groundhog.jpg

Spoiler
Challenge_178_Spoiler.JPG