community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #177: Ham Hamlet

Pulsar
Pulsar
Spoiler
I was getting so frustrated doing the back and forth with trial and error along with rerunning my workflow so many times. I ended up just scrapping that method and artificially creating a bunch of possible combinations so that I could get 26 of the 104 mappings.
Capture.PNG
Alteryx Certified Partner
Spoiler
177. Data Analysis.PNG
A difficult one! I didn't really know where to start, apart from finding what a space was. I got the idea then from @T_Willins to look at shorter words and guess characters from there. Then, I sorted the words by count to find the most common words like 'the', 'and', 'we' etc

Took a long time but enjoyed the problem solving!
Meteor
Spoiler
My solution is still incomplete and does not use an automated approach such as counting characters as I was completely thrown off by the pig latin. The only way I managed to figure it out was through trying to take a logical approach:
I found out that the second character only had four possible combinations (excluding upper and lower case).
From the position and frequency of the upper case variants, I concluded that these were not an integral part of the decode.
I couldn't get the 'A' or the 'Y' characters to agree to their actual mappings and the decode only gave nonsense. As the numbering of the left hand encoded letter began at 2 rather than 1, I decided that this might also be a clue, so bumping the left character 'a' to position '1'. 
From here manual verification of the words that appeared and adjustment allowed me to get some semblance of real words, however the only checks I was actually certain about were the header and footer as they have less flowery language.

Overall, I think there was more luck than judgement involved here! With more fine tuning, most letters would be discovered, and further investigation would have revealed an identical ordering to each character subset (assuming that I chose to begin at the correct character!), so making adjustment possible.
  
Alteryx Certified Partner

My solution with lots of trial and error.

 

Spoiler
challenge_177.PNG
Alteryx Certified Partner

Couldn't get there on my own and after a peek at the solutions I thought @Claje's 'brute force' approach was incredibly smart, so did something along those lines.

 

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 19.39.24.png

 

Pulsar
Pulsar

Forgot to attach my workflow to my posted solution above.