We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!Submit Feedback
Out of every weekly challenge, this was my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE so far!
At first I wasn’t sure how to go about tackling this one, but I found this article on cryptography that inspired me to start cracking the code!
My solution - with a bit of a shortcut below the spoiler tag for anyone who doesn't love word puzzles!
Wow... that one was very interesting and kept me going and going...
Fun challenge! I didn't go as far as translating the pig latin to English but go the message.
Definitely showing my age here, I got my inspiration from Gilligan singing Hamlet.
Regex to split to pairs
Saw placement of ks as space
Formula to identify words based on space also to identify words starting with Vowels based on yay.
one path with tile and Cross tab to create column for each pair
2nd path with concatenate string
Summarize to group by word string
Started guessing based on "the" being the 2nd highest count of word group. "5c7d8cacqdks" and "I" being the single letter group. From there then "to", "of", "you", "your", "is" ,"with". You get the picture.
Initially went down wrong path trying to match first words to beginning of Hamlet or one the acts in Hamlet.
Solution similar to others. Once I had solved the letter 'e' in 'ethay' along with the given 'a' and 'y', the word 'anywhere' in the first line jumped out at me.
I noticed that no one had yet attempted the extra credit in their solution. The reason for this is that converting Pig Latin back into English is teeth-grindingly awful. Challenge #174 had you create an English to Pig Latin converter- straightforward as you can locate the first vowel as your marker for the start of the word. But to reverse this you need to know how many letters were moved before adding 'ay' or 'yay'.
My basic approach was to permute the Pig Latin words in different combinations, smash against a list of all words (cabbaged from challenge #75) to find matches, then union the result back together in Record ID order. Of course, this misses all the proper nouns and delightfully antique Elizabethan word constructions. Short words like 'no' are also a problem if they convert into other good English words. I did not even touch the punctuation, leaving that field of battle open to some future masochist.
"Let those who are in favour with their stars" try to improve on this, please!
A super fun challenge! Like others I've seen on here, I identified that the 'ks' characters are spaces, so after converting that, I used space as a delimiter to list the words out in rows and summarized the count. I then identified some of the letters and used a Find-Replace to update the list of words as I added characters until I reached 26 (because it was case sensitive, it was easy to fill out the 26 required characters once we see that 9c is i and 9C is I.)