Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #177: Ham Hamlet

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

OK, this one was pretty fun once I got going! I couldn't come up with a more automated solution, so I did visual inspection (as it looks like most others did).

Workflow:

Spoiler
kelly_gilbert_0-1577506305077.png

Process:

Spoiler
  • Break the input into two-character segments (2 encoded chars = 1 output char)
  • As expected, the most-common characters are a (qd) and y (ac), which we are given
    kelly_gilbert_1-1577506333680.png

• ks is also very common (it’s nearly as common as a and y, so it would have to occur in all or nearly all words). Guess that this is a space.
  • Use spaces as a delimiter to break out the individual words.

• The most-common word is three characters, not beginning with a vowel. Assume this is the. Now we know t, h, and e.kelly_gilbert_2-1577506333687.png

• The next-most-common word (#3) is a_ _  -->  assume this is and. Now, we know n and d.
  • The next word (#4) is a single vowel. Since we already have a, assume this is I.
  • Then, we have two words (5-6) that start with the same letter, but one ends in -yay. So, we know #6 is a 2-letter word starting with a vowel, and #5 is a 2-letter word ending with that same vowel. The most-likely ending vowel for a 2-letter word would be o.
  • #9 is _n, and we’ve already used o, so this must be i. 9C (capitalized) was I, so 9c is probably i.
  • Assuming a capitalized second character means the letter is capitalized, go back and add capitals for the letters we already know (A, Y, T, H, E, N, D, O).
  • Since we already know t, #12 is probably is (6d=s/6D=S)
    kelly_gilbert_3-1577506333692.png
  • Moving down the list, #15 is with --> now we know w/W
    kelly_gilbert_4-1577506333695.png

• 2c (#17) and kc are either b or m (me/my or be/by)
  • Since we know not, the next-most-common _o_ word is for. Guess #18 is for. We now know f/F/r/R
  • Now we have enough character mappings to run the macro and decode the string

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

Took me a while to get there and I might have made a few mistakes along the way. But here it is.

mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
2020-01-23 06_33_25-Greenshot.png
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This was really a fun and brain teaser challenge 🙂

Ham Hamlet ... Pig Latin

atcodedog05_0-1586094930553.jpeg

Spoiler
atcodedog05_1-1586094998856.png

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

So much guesswork!!

Spoiler
I started with a bunch of common words in English, and luckily chose Shakespeare plays...and went on a rollercoaster of guesses
dsmdavid_0-1586211541697.png

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

This is a tough one!

balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Lots of trial and error. This was a tough one

balajilolla_0-1589745391642.png

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

I've spent soooo much time on this. I tried for a long time by myself but then I liked @Claje 's solutions so much that I decided to go with that approach. 

Spoiler
I started with trying to match characters translating a Wikipedia article to pig Latin and finding the frequency of each character. But that didn't work... I didn't think about doing things more manually so went with Claje's solution at this point.

After realising that it was kind of cheating (although I did learn something new when I was recreating it!), I decided to try and decode the pig Latin text to English. It worked for the most part but there are some mistakes there... Anyway, I think it's pretty good for me and I'm also done with this challenge haha

hanykowska_0-1590259455639.png

workflow

Spoiler
hanykowska_1-1590259728656.png

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !