Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #177: Ham Hamlet

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

OK, this one was pretty fun once I got going! I couldn't come up with a more automated solution, so I did visual inspection (as it looks like most others did).

Workflow:

Spoiler
kelly_gilbert_0-1577506305077.png

Process:

Spoiler
  • Break the input into two-character segments (2 encoded chars = 1 output char)
  • As expected, the most-common characters are a (qd) and y (ac), which we are given
    kelly_gilbert_1-1577506333680.png

• ks is also very common (it’s nearly as common as a and y, so it would have to occur in all or nearly all words). Guess that this is a space.
  • Use spaces as a delimiter to break out the individual words.

• The most-common word is three characters, not beginning with a vowel. Assume this is the. Now we know t, h, and e.kelly_gilbert_2-1577506333687.png

• The next-most-common word (#3) is a_ _  -->  assume this is and. Now, we know n and d.
  • The next word (#4) is a single vowel. Since we already have a, assume this is I.
  • Then, we have two words (5-6) that start with the same letter, but one ends in -yay. So, we know #6 is a 2-letter word starting with a vowel, and #5 is a 2-letter word ending with that same vowel. The most-likely ending vowel for a 2-letter word would be o.
  • #9 is _n, and we’ve already used o, so this must be i. 9C (capitalized) was I, so 9c is probably i.
  • Assuming a capitalized second character means the letter is capitalized, go back and add capitals for the letters we already know (A, Y, T, H, E, N, D, O).
  • Since we already know t, #12 is probably is (6d=s/6D=S)
    kelly_gilbert_3-1577506333692.png
  • Moving down the list, #15 is with --> now we know w/W
    kelly_gilbert_4-1577506333695.png

• 2c (#17) and kc are either b or m (me/my or be/by)
  • Since we know not, the next-most-common _o_ word is for. Guess #18 is for. We now know f/F/r/R
  • Now we have enough character mappings to run the macro and decode the string

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

Took me a while to get there and I might have made a few mistakes along the way. But here it is.

mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
2020-01-23 06_33_25-Greenshot.png
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This was really a fun and brain teaser challenge 🙂

Ham Hamlet ... Pig Latin

atcodedog05_0-1586094930553.jpeg

Spoiler
atcodedog05_1-1586094998856.png

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

So much guesswork!!

Spoiler
I started with a bunch of common words in English, and luckily chose Shakespeare plays...and went on a rollercoaster of guesses
dsmdavid_0-1586211541697.png

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

This is a tough one!

balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Lots of trial and error. This was a tough one

balajilolla_0-1589745391642.png

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

I've spent soooo much time on this. I tried for a long time by myself but then I liked @Claje 's solutions so much that I decided to go with that approach. 

Spoiler
I started with trying to match characters translating a Wikipedia article to pig Latin and finding the frequency of each character. But that didn't work... I didn't think about doing things more manually so went with Claje's solution at this point.

After realising that it was kind of cheating (although I did learn something new when I was recreating it!), I decided to try and decode the pig Latin text to English. It worked for the most part but there are some mistakes there... Anyway, I think it's pretty good for me and I'm also done with this challenge haha

hanykowska_0-1590259455639.png

workflow

Spoiler
hanykowska_1-1590259728656.png

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !