Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #176: Math Class Drill

chaddzivic
7 - Meteor

This is the first time that I actually like my solution better than the one proposed. Generate rows and tokenize.

Chadd

Verakso
11 - Bolide

Interesting and funny challenge

Here is my solution

Spoiler
It seemed pretty straight forward
2019-09-18 20_35_43-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_176_start_file.yxmd_.png

But I will now go on and check the other solutions to see, if someone came up with something really cleaver.

Still Climbing
/Verakso

Nicholas_Bowskill
7 - Meteor

I always enjoy the maths challenges!

BSilverblatt
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the challenge! This is my solution.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Pretty much the same solution as @Kenda 

Spoiler

Flow.pngResults.png

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Really enjoyed this one. Here's my solution. There must be a smarter way to cube than Number * Number * Number but I couldn't figure it out!

EDIT: here's what I should have done..

pow([Number],3)

gump.gif

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 12.59.27.png

pawel_zych
7 - Meteor

Hi,

this is my first reply to Weekly Challenge. I liked the problem and I was wondering if I could do it in Alteryx way. What naturally came to my mind was nested for ...next loop. Could you have a look at a flow and a macro I used with it and send some feed back so I can learn how to implement for ...next loops in the future?

The workflow below generated input to the macro. There are three digits generated independently as digit1, digit2, and digit 3. All of them are numbers starting from 0 to 9. I generate 1000 combinations.

challenge_176_PZ_solutionWorkFlow.JPG

The macro then takes each set of digits and calculates through the formula tool if the criteria set at the beginning are met. Before the output, the select tool takes only those numbers, for which the status is 'Success'. 

MathsMacro.JPG

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Nice one!

Spoiler
It's an iterative macro which tokenizes and looks for the number which fullfills the equation

Number = number1^3+number2^3+number3^3
untitiled.png
justindavis
10 - Fireball
Spoiler
challenge_176_solution_justindavis.PNG
MattBenj
9 - Comet

It seems like there are a lot of different ways to generate your data set for this challenge. The generation of the data makes some of the solutions look more complex than they actually are.