Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #175: Tire Size Calculator

jennifer_owens
8 - Asteroid

Without looking at the answers, I was able to get it to work on my second attempt by forcing dropdown outputs but I am not sure why my dynamic (without extra options) would not work. If anyone cares to review my first attempt, I will attach it as well. 

V2=working

non v2=not working and not sure why if anyone cares to review

rachel_lynch
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
rachel_lynch_0-1685457518452.pngrachel_lynch_1-1685457534185.pngrachel_lynch_2-1685457547424.pngrachel_lynch_3-1685457559607.png

Rachel Lynch
chandler-gjino
Alteryx
Alteryx

attaching my solution

jessle
8 - Asteroid

Good intro to chained apps!

Be sure to test across a range of records, as numbers with decimals are behaving strangely in this dataset and can prevent drop-down options from appearing. For example, value '152.4' in the tire width (mm) column returns no records when specified directly in a Filter tool, suggesting it's actually a longer number that is truncated in some way? Similar issues arose with the longer decimals in the RATIO column. To get around this I converted all numeric fields to fixed decimals.

I wanted to use the NAME:VALUE pairings of a file output in workflow 1 to produce the options in a Drop Down tool in the same workflow. Surprisingly, a Block Until Done worked, suggesting that the Drop Down tool is not triggered until values are passed into the 'base' tool it's connected to? (Would probably avoid doing this for workflows of importance and just make a separate workflow!)

alacoume
8 - Asteroid

I do not know apps could be chained...

meredithm
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
Spoiler
app1 workflow and interfaceapp1 workflow and interfaceapp2 interfaceapp2 interface
app2 workflowapp2 workflowapp3 interfaceapp3 interfaceapp3 workflowapp3 workflow

I struggled with the configuration of the interface designer properties to tell it to chain the apps. Didn't realize I needed to specify which app came next.  Wondering if that's a new feature in updated version.  Instructional video on chained app didn't show that step.  I got there in the end, good learning experience. 

mithily
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
I did it without reference shortcuts which I need to get more comfortable with
CVCurcurato
8 - Asteroid

Is it common for chained apps to be configured correctly on a first time setup and error, only to work once you restart Alteryx? I solved this challenge in a few different ways but it kept erroring and only worked after I restarted.

dj-khaled-another-one.gif

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Forgot about the external option on the dropdown - reminder to always research if in doubt on how to do something. Then in testing it seemed a bit hit and miss. Couple of saves and retests and it seemed to start working consistently.

Challenge 175 App Stage 2.pngChallenge 175 App Stage 3.pngChallenge 175 App Stage 1.png

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Done