Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #174: Appyhay Ondaymay!

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor
Solution.
Sapna Gupta
garthn555
8 - Asteroid

Iyay ontday understandyay ouryay econdsay ordway

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Took a bit of trial and error on different words and phrases to get the correct translation. Fun challenge! 

Spoiler
Challenge 174.PNG
bartleb
6 - Meteoroid

First challenge, it was a fun challenge. There is definitely a lot of optimizing I could do with the logic, but it's a good start. 

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

JamesMA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A tough challenge!

The hard part was thinking around how to examine the two letters of each word and action on them.

Rewarding to complete.

Spoiler
James Marks Week 174.PNG
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Brute force, but I got there.

Spoiler
I began by creating a Record ID, I then used the Text to Columns tool to split the words to rows on every space (a row per word). I then isolated the non-blank rows. I then split the stream to isolate those records that contained quotes, and I then used the formula tool to create two columns representing the leading and trailing punctuation marks. I then cleansed the words so they contained no punctuation marks, I then unioned them back together:

1.PNG

I then created two streams handling those words that begin with a vowel, built in the logic to create the pig-latin word on each steam then unioned back together. I then isolated the first record of each sentence and made these words title case, with the others being set to lowercase. Once I had everything in the format I required I created a title column then cross-tabbed the records grouped by Record ID, with "Title" as the title column ("Message"), with the message being the column data and the cross tab set to concatenate with a \s as the divider:

2.PNG

...and Robert's your father's brother.

results.PNG

Bulien

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Not the best looking workflow of all time! I have annotated to try make it look a bit nicer.

Bringing back in the punctuation was a big challenge. I broke this down in a few formula tools so I could track progress as I went along.

Happy to have completed it, I can now speak Pig Latin...

Spoiler
Challenge 174.PNG
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I decided to use Regex and it didn't turn out as pretty as I was hoping for. Every time I use regex, I realize how little I actually know regex.
perl_problems

Annotation 2019-08-05 092637.jpg