Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #173: Tour de France - Crow Edition

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here!

The Tour de France is one of the most grueling competitions on the planet. Each year, incredibly fit athletes push the limits of human endurance to traverse some 3000+ kilometers (2000 miles) over about a three-week period ON A BIKE. Just finishing the race is an incredible achievement. But what do birds think about all this?

In this challenge, use Designer and data from the 2017 Tour de France to determine how long the race was, as the crow flies. That’s right, calculate how far the race would be for a bird flying all stages of the race.

This solution treated race days that started and ended in the same city as 0 km covered. Travel outside of racing was not included either (i.e. if the destination of one leg did not match the next leg’s origin, that distance was not included.

bnelly1987
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Solution-Challenge 173.PNG
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution..

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 17.03.26.png
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
Took me longer than it should have to realize that calculations were in km not miles. Doh!

WeeklyChallenge173.JPG
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution

Spoiler
22-07-_2019_18-34-22.png
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Solution is below

Spoiler

Pretty straightforward.  Interestingly the bike distance in the solution remained in miles, while the bird distance was in km. @danilang - yep miles was something I totally created and then "solved for" in my workflow. Updated workflow accordingly

challenge_173.png

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
I couldn't even ride my bike the bird's distance in 3 weeks!

Capture.PNG
David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

If the birds didn't fly to the next leg's origin, when the destination of the previous leg was different, then did they ride in the teams' vans?

Spoiler
173.png
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

What's a "Bike" and how many horsepower does it have!

@David-Carnes .  Maybe they take the Train

Spoiler
Slightly different tack than those before me.  Transpose to minimize the joins

WF.png

@john_miller9 :  I think the Bike distance in the input was already in KM.

Dan

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution