community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #172: 2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 3

Highlighted
Meteoroid

Alteryx Certified Partner

My solution

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Quasar
Quasar

My solution, fun one, took me some time to figure how to make the groups

Challenge Compeleted

Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Spoiler.PNG
Spoiler
172SolutionJJ.png

I remembered the solution to this one from Inspire... This took me 3:04, but would have been MUCH longer if I hadn't remembered the key (and rarely used by me) tool!

Spoiler
challenge_172_workflow.PNG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Asteroid

Wow,

I would have been out of the competition on this one.

-I tried the Make Groups Tool, but then scrapped it and went with the Summarize Tool.

@NicoleJohnson @danilang 

-Great Discussion that you all are having here:

-The instructions said to make groups and not necessarily use the Make Groups Tool, as my experience with it has been that when you don't have the confidence in a tool, it is best to not use it and especially when you are on the clock you just want a working solution. Later, you can always go back and "Clean up," as I have seen this in my role where I had a working workflow early on that was a bit "dirty/sloppy," but worked and was criticized, only to later go back and "clean it up,". 

-The "dirty" workflow got us the information we needed for a time limited project...

Nonetheless, a win is a win, so any way that you can reach the finish line is legal in my book.

Also: CEIL...I struggled with this for a bit, as I couldn't quite figure out how to get the numbers to round up,as I had to google this function.

-Cheers!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

Matt

Took me a while to find the correct spatial tool and use it right, so total time for this one appox. 15 minutes...

Spoiler
It was a nice use of the Group Tool2019-07-25 10_17_12-Alteryx Designer x64 - Weekly_Challenge_172_Solution_Verakso.yxmd_.png

It took me some time to figure out how to do the correct rounding of the result, but  a quick search in the search bar

2019-07-25 10_23_06-Alteryx Designer x64 - Weekly_Challenge_172_Solution_Verakso.yxmd_.png

Lead me swiftly in the right direction: How To: Round Numeric Values with the Formula Tool 

Still Climbing

/Verakso