Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #171: 2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 2

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

This was fun, and possibly a little easier for me than last week's challenge.  I think I knocked this out in about 6 minutes or so.

Spoiler

I ran through a bunch of sort, rank and repeat.. then a simply running total and filter gets the answer.
answer.png
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I forgot to set a timer but fun nonetheless!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Adam_Dooley 

Speed will come with practice.  If you want to get credit for this challenge, attach your solution to your post. 

Dan

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

I thought I did attach it, whoops.  

Thanks @danilang 

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Apparently this question is still the bane of my existence. This time because I forgot to change my Overall Rank field to a double in the Formula tool!

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Here's a solution, co-authored with @danilang . We took turns, dropping one tool on the canvas at a time.

Spoiler
Did anyone else notice these data discrepancies? Turned out they didn't matter, and we decided to complete the exercise to see if they'd drop out -- they did.

Wonder what I would have done on stage if I noticed. Missed the Grand Prix this year. @Kenda , @PhilipMannering , did you notice? What were your instincts?

image.png

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@estherb47 

That's a fun way to complete a challenge! Did you describe what you were doing along the way to each other or try to work together silently?

Fortunately, I did not notice this on stage. If I had, I probably would've gotten sidetracked from the main problem and spent too much time trying to figure out if it was okay or not. (I guess it didn't matter in the end anyway since I found another place to waste time lol.) I did notice when redoing it this morning, though, and I thought that might've been where I was going wrong until I realized I just had a wrong field type!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Kenda   

It was a fun solving process.  We worked Independently, taking turns. 

Because of the order that we dropped the tools, I noticed the discrepancy and mentioned it to @estherb47.  She, being younger but much wiser than I, suggested to move forward.  I would have fixed the initial formula to clamp the values. 

I look forward to repeating the exercise with a harder challenge

Dan 

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Hi @JimmyG,

I was waiting for a link to appear on the index page (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Weekly-Challenge-Index-amp-Welcome/td-p/48275) but it is still missing.

I hope this page will not be deprecated.

Regards, Roland

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Where can I download Alteryx 2019.2? The downloads.alteryx.com page states that that package cannot be downloaded because some ID field is missing. Please help me track down an update for Alteryx Designer 2019.1 to 2019.2. Of note: the Alteryx Designer can check for updates but it states that it is in fact up to date. Please elaborate when of how I can do this challenge.

Edit: (for anyone else wondering the same: I found it here by just bashing many hyperlinks: https://alteryx.flexnetoperations.com/flexnet/operationsportal/entitledDownloadFile.action?downloadP... YourID) Of Note: it may take several hours to complete the download as mine are still taking 1h 23m for the Rinstaller and 2h 49m for the designer 2019.2

Edited again: downloads failed, restarted and are once again super fast. Nearly ready to start this challenge 😄