Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #171: 2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 2

pjdit
8 - Asteroid

My solution.  just over 10 min..  so fun!

Spoiler
Challenge_171_Spoiler.JPG
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

I got interrupted while working on this and forgot to pause the timer, so I'm not sure how I did on time...😞😢

Spoiler
I think we're double-counting some households in the Grades 1-12 calculation...  For example, if a household has a child in first grade and a child in the fifth grade, wouldn't they be included in both counts?)

Since there wasn't an obvious way to separate them, I made the assumption that we were supposed to add them all together (and I filtered out any blocks where % Grades 1-12 was > 100%).
Spoiler
I thought that I zipped through this pretty easily, until I ended up with a few additional blocks that were not in the solution!

Noticing that my "extras" were significantly higher-ranked than those in the solution, I realized that the intent was to cut off as soon as we hit 10,000 (I had been trying to fully utilize the 10,000 capacity by including some lower-ranked blocks that were small enough to fit within the cap). Had I realized that earlier, I would have just used Running Total; instead, I re-purposed my Multi-Row Formula instead, since it was already in the workflow.

This untidy workflow makes me cringe, but in the interest of keeping it real...

Capture.PNG

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Definitely easier the second time through!

Spoiler
Challenge 171.PNG
mbogusz
9 - Comet

They threw in the spacial data in there as a stumbling block.

The hardest part for me was choosing the right sorting method ascending or descending.

Awesome practice using the Running Total tool, which makes life easy!

kshashank03
7 - Meteor

It's simple to brute force this one, I wonder what the more elegant solutions are? 

Spoiler
Shashank Challenge 171 Screenshot.png
Spoiler
I basically just sorted the data on the criteria I wanted to rank and then used a record ID tool to apply a rank to the rows. 

JReid
9 - Comet

I wonder if there's any way to use the optimization tool to get this answer 

Spoiler
image.png
Ckaralis
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler

Here is my solution! 

kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge #171.PNG
Wouter
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
challenge 171.jpg
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

A significant chunk of time was spent deciding column names - but otherwise was good fun sorting out the ranking

Spoiler
Snag_51bf82fe.png

And a time of 10.13

Spoiler
Screenshot_20190718-095952.jpg