Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #171: 2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 2

JimmyG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You've completed Heat 1 and it's time to move on to Heat 2! This heat is all about data prep/calculations for the analysis in Heat 3. Much like last week, give yourself 2-3 minutes to read through the instructions before you start the timer. You don't have a pit crew to help, but at the 11-minute mark you may use the workflow in the "Turbo Boost" Tool Container that is about 75% of a suggested solution.

If you'd like to see the action of the 2019 Grand Prix in Nashville, check our This Blog that gives a quick recap and contains a video recap.

Good luck!

2-f2t-20190613_162829_olivia_y_rycoM0inspireRYC05508.jpg

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's a little easier to work through the problem the second time around

Spoiler
It may be more time consuming, but for some reason I always want to transpose things.

Capture.PNG
JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Even though I was not in Nashville, I watched the video a couple of days ago; time flies building the workflow; it sure took me all 11 minutes. Kuddos to the competitors.

Spoiler
2019-07-08_8-56-29.jpg
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
Workflow 171.GIF

Starting to time challenges to prepare for next year:  6:22 including formatting.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Solution is attached.  

Reading the background was helpful in determining how to sort the records for the final output (e.g. Not just by overall rank, but by number of households in order to maximize the volunteers).  Definitely a fun exercise!

Spoiler
challenge_171.png
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I *heart* ❤️Grand Prix Weekly Challenge Mondays!!! I also *heart* @Kenda power-pose in that picture... 😉

Spoiler
I object a bit conceptually to the instructions for creating a percentage of HH with children in grades 1-12 when there isn't a way to determine if you are double counting HH's... for example, situations where someone has a child in grade 1 and also in grade 5, shouldn't the HH only be counted once? At any rate, there wasn't data available to address that sort of nit-pickiness, so here's what I ended up with:

WeeklyChallenge171.JPG

And I ALSO *heart* ❤️ that it took me sub-6 minutes for this lap... BOOM!!!! Data prep is my JAM on a Monday morning...

171Stopwatch.png

Cheers!

NJ

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution...

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 18.14.16.png
David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

Just over 6 minutes to complete and join against The Answer.  As I got ready to post I remembered the Answer Check macro, LOL.

Spoiler
171.png

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Gotta improve my speed.