Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #170: 2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 1

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

I had some trouble with the ETS tool on this because i've never used that before (and i'm using 11.5, so the output didn't seem very intuitive to me).  I got to that point at around the 9 minute mark, so i'm pretty happy with myself, and I think the results are right in line with expectations:

Spoiler
Challenge 170 Flow.png

Challenge 170 Forecasts.png
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Fun!!!

Spoiler
image.png

Made the most sense to me to crosstab to determine the nulls for each session, and then 2 multi-row formula tools to impute the average for the null values. A formula tool to summarize by year, then ETS, and then TS Forecast.

Easy peasy when there's not an audience of thousands watching 🙂
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I had the privilege to see this year's Grand Prix live, but it was still fun to pit myself against the clock for this challenge!

Solution:

klyuka
8 - Asteroid

[Need help] Could someone tell me about nonlinearity in Time Series?

Alexeryx version 2019.2.5.62427 - installed in the morning

ETS (Summer1 + Summer2) = 702.87

ETS (Summer1) + ETS (Summer2) = 356.67 + 339.68 = 696.35 <> ETS (Summer1 + Summer2)

On my mind the forecast of a sum it should be equal the sum of a forecasts.

For linear regression it is always true - linear regression could be shown as a kernel function.

I suggest that may be in two cases:

- because ETS returns not the Expected Value but 50% quantile - in this case I am affraid if I could relly in Alteryx forecasting module in my work. 🙂

- in TS Alteryx take different periods for Summer 1 and Summer 2 like Summer1 = sin (year / 5) and Summer2 = sin (year/7) and it find no single valid harmonic in the sum. It is guess - I know nothing about TS.

Johnny_Analytics
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Challenge_170_Solution.pngResults_Set.png
JamesMA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Fun challenge!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
virajdeshpande
7 - Meteor

Here's my attempt

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
pjdit
8 - Asteroid

Not fast, but I got it!   so glad I didn't have to do this in front of 5000 people...  

Spoiler
Challenge_170_Spoiler.JPG
PatrickO
5 - Atom

Here is my solution. A little more lengthy than others. It is my first Alteryx workflow and my brain is still approaching these problems from a stored procedure point of view (which is a habit I recognize will dissipate over time...). Cheers!

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge_170_pjo.JPG
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Was assuming it would take longer, but actually finished fairly quickly!