Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #170: 2019 Grand Prix US - Heat 1

JSNelson08
8 - Asteroid

I had some trouble with the ETS tool on this because i've never used that before (and i'm using 11.5, so the output didn't seem very intuitive to me).  I got to that point at around the 9 minute mark, so i'm pretty happy with myself, and I think the results are right in line with expectations:

Spoiler
Challenge 170 Flow.png

Challenge 170 Forecasts.png
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Fun!!!

Spoiler
image.png

Made the most sense to me to crosstab to determine the nulls for each session, and then 2 multi-row formula tools to impute the average for the null values. A formula tool to summarize by year, then ETS, and then TS Forecast.

Easy peasy when there's not an audience of thousands watching 🙂
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I had the privilege to see this year's Grand Prix live, but it was still fun to pit myself against the clock for this challenge!

Solution:

klyuka
8 - Asteroid

[Need help] Could someone tell me about nonlinearity in Time Series?

Alexeryx version 2019.2.5.62427 - installed in the morning

ETS (Summer1 + Summer2) = 702.87

ETS (Summer1) + ETS (Summer2) = 356.67 + 339.68 = 696.35 <> ETS (Summer1 + Summer2)

On my mind the forecast of a sum it should be equal the sum of a forecasts.

For linear regression it is always true - linear regression could be shown as a kernel function.

I suggest that may be in two cases:

- because ETS returns not the Expected Value but 50% quantile - in this case I am affraid if I could relly in Alteryx forecasting module in my work. 🙂

- in TS Alteryx take different periods for Summer 1 and Summer 2 like Summer1 = sin (year / 5) and Summer2 = sin (year/7) and it find no single valid harmonic in the sum. It is guess - I know nothing about TS.

Johnny_Analytics
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Challenge_170_Solution.pngResults_Set.png
JamesMA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Fun challenge!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
virajdeshpande
7 - Meteor

Here's my attempt

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
pjdit
8 - Asteroid

Not fast, but I got it!   so glad I didn't have to do this in front of 5000 people...  

Spoiler
Challenge_170_Spoiler.JPG
PatrickO
5 - Atom

Here is my solution. A little more lengthy than others. It is my first Alteryx workflow and my brain is still approaching these problems from a stored procedure point of view (which is a habit I recognize will dissipate over time...). Cheers!

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge_170_pjo.JPG
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Was assuming it would take longer, but actually finished fairly quickly!